Mark Collins – Libya: Serious Western Intervention Approaching? Canada?

Further to this post,

Back to Libya’s Shifting Sands: Western Action vs ISIS?

the latest:

MILNEWS.ca News Highlights – February 22, 2016


Libya Next?

What could possibly go wrong?

Mark Collins, a prolific Ottawa blogger, is a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute; he tweets @Mark3Ds

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Mark Collins – Libya: Serious Western Intervention Approaching? Canada?”

  1. Hmm–at Foreign Policy’s “Situation Report”, note SOF on ground:

    ‘…
    The Wall Street Journal reports that the Italian government will allow the U.S. to use Naval Air Station Sigonella as a base for armed drone strikes against the Islamic State in Libya. Sort of. Armed drones can now use the base, but only on the condition that they be used to protect U.S. special operations forces in Libya and not actively target senior members of the Islamic State for assassination. The restriction is a reflection of Italy’s political anxiety about the potential domestic opposition should Sigonella become the base for a controversial drone strike campaign — anxiety likely not helped by reports that a manned U.S. fighter jet may have accidentally killed two Serbian diplomats in a strike in Libya last week…’
    http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/02/23/situation-report-gitmo-plan-details-syrian-cease-fire-endorses-more-bombing-obama-gets-an-f-on-drone-program-pentagon-expands-investigation-into-afghan-child-abuse-new-drone-base-in-italy-aimed/

    Mark Collins

  2. Italians getting cold feet? At MILNEWS.ca, further links at original:

    ‘…
    Libya: The rest of the fracas

    “Hillary Clinton Says She Supports Using Special Forces in Libya” – “Hillary: “An Absence Of Action Would Have Probably Turned Libya Into Syria,” Ultimately Was Obama’s Decision”

    “Italy will not intervene in Libya: Renzi” – “Renzi against sending troops to Libya” – “Italian Premier Shuns Sending Troops to Libya” – “Up to Italy to decide on Libya says U.S. embassy”

    “At Least 45 Dead After Clashes Involving ‘Terrorists’ Near Libya-Tunisia Border”

    “Former Italian hostage in Libya says escape aided by nail”

    “IS kidnapping migrants at gunpoint to fight in Libya”

    “53 killed in Tunisia border city in suspected Islamic State raid out of Libya” – “Tunisia says Libya attack aimed to set up ISIL ’emirate’ “

    “General Khalifa Haftar: Man on whose shoulders ‘Peace’ in Libya rests”..’
    https://milnewsca.wordpress.com/2016/03/08/news-080645est/

    Mark Collins

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s