Mark Collins – Bloody Yemen Update: US Navy Starts Shooting/Big Saudi Killing

Further to this August post,

Bloody Yemen Update: US Not Best Pleased with Saudis, Plus Houthis

the latest at Foreign Policy’s “Situation Report”:


Strikes, but not war. The attempted missile attacks on American Navy ships in the Red Sea this week, and the Pentagon’s response — launching Tomahawk missiles at Houthi radar sites in Yemen — are a master class in how nations stumble into war. But Washington insists that it has no desire to become more deeply involved in the Saudi-led campaign to oust the Houthis from power. But it has to protect its ships.

Now Iran has sent two warships to the region, FP’s Paul McLeary  reports, one of which trained its guns on a U.S. Navy helicopter in the same waterway last year. “The attack on the American ships also comes amid the backdrop of a Saudi airstrike on a funeral in Sanaa that killed 140 people, including several high-ranking Houthi officials, among them some well-known moderates who were attempting to set up negotiations between the Saudis and Houthis. The strike has led Washington to again assess its support for the air campaign, which includes refueling of Saudi and Emirati bombers, and some intelligence support.”

Which way out? As Washington looks for the exits in the Saudi-led war against the Houthis, an anonymous senior administration official tells the Washington Post that they’re putting the squeeze on the Saudis to accept an unconditional ceasefire and bring about an end to the conflict, which has caused an extensive humanitarian crisis in the country…

Plus (ring any Canadian bells?):

Is [US] selling tanks to Saudi Arabia such a good idea?

Exclusive: As Saudis bombed Yemen, U.S. worried about legal blowback

Mark Collins, a prolific Ottawa blogger, is a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute; he tweets @Mark3Ds

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Mark Collins – Bloody Yemen Update: US Navy Starts Shooting/Big Saudi Killing”

  1. Oct. 16 at MILNEWS.ca (further links at original):

    ‘…
    “US Destroyer Again Targeted by Missiles Off Coast of Yemen” – “Missiles fired at US warships in Red Sea, no casualties: official” – “CNO Richardson: USS Mason ‘Appears to Have Come Under Attack’” – “USS Mason Draws Missile Fire Again Off Yemen” – “USS Mason Fired on a Third Time Near Yemen, CNO Says”…’
    https://milnewsca.wordpress.com/2016/10/16/canvsisil-161155utc/

    Plus semi-apology:

    “Saudi-Led Coalition Says It Bombed Yemen Funeral Based on False Information”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/world/middleeast/saudi-led-coalition-says-it-bombed-yemen-funeral-based-on-false-information.html

    Mark Collins

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s